OSCE launched State Lead by Example as an implementation initiative, to ensure that all State of Wisconsin agencies are collaboratively working toward meeting statewide emissions goals, by setting a baseline and then tracking energy use, greenhouse gas (GHG) reductions, and setting reduction goals.
Statewide goals currently include:
- Ensure the state is fulfilling the carbon reduction goals of the 2015 Paris Climate Accord (26-28% below 2005 by 2025).
- Develop energy efficiency, sustainability and renewable energy standards for all new and existing state facilities, office buildings and complexes.
- Accelerate new and existing policies to reduce carbon pollution and promote clean energy deployment at the state level.
In addition to GHG reductions, this initiative will include:
- Energy consumption reduction
- Sustainable procurement
- Transitioning the fleet to clean fuels and zero-emission vehicles
- Reducing solid waste
- Reducing water consumption
The project will identify and analyze available state agency data to help inform decision making and goal setting.